The Elements of Art in Gustav Klimt's The Kiss: An Art Analysis

 


Gustav Klimt's 1907 painting The Kiss is a prime example of the use of multiple visual elements of art that create an enticing work of art. Painted in Austria, this painting is the last of Klimt's "Golden Period." The full effect of the painting is only efficient because of the careful and thoughtful use of line, shape, color, and pattern.

Line

The outline of the couple creates an organic shape that directly contrasts the straight lines that make up the shapes found within the man's clothing. Conversely, they coordinate with the softer lines that make up the circles in the woman's dress. The general organic feel of the outline creates a calming feeling that surrounds the couple. Additionally, the vertical lines in the clothing create a sense of strength and stability.

Shape

The round shapes found within the woman's clothing suggest a gentleness that surrounds the woman. In contrast, the sharp rectangles that are found within the man's clothing suggest a roughness that surrounds the man. The organic shape of the couple's silhouette suggests a mutual natural feeling between the two.

Color

The general warm hues of the painting create a happy, loving, and peaceful feeling throughout the piece. The contrast between the colors of the shapes in the man's clothing and those in the woman's clothing creates a general sense of difference between the man and woman. Despite this, the similarity between the yellow hues of their clothing creates a sense of unity.

Pattern

The patterns differ between the man and woman, although both man-made. The man's clothing consists of repeating and similar rectangles, whereas the woman's clothing consists of repeating and similar circles, some of which are encompassed within others. Additionally, you can see a natural pattern toward the bottom of the painting where there are flowers growing near their feet. 


Personally, this is one of my favorite paintings. I would not hesitate to own a copy of this. In fact, I have been pondering the idea of getting a tattoo inspired by this piece. While I am not as familiar with Klimt's other work as I would like to be, I have yet to come across a painting by him that I do not like. Of the elements of art that are present in his work, I like his portrayal of pattern and color most. I also think that these are the first to catch your eye when seeing his paintings.

Works Cited

“The Kiss, 1907 by Gustav Klimt.” 10 Facts You Don't Know about "The Kiss" by Gustav Klimt, 2011, www.gustav-klimt.com/The-Kiss.jsp#prettyPhoto.

Richman-Abdou, Kelly. “The Story behind Gustav Klimt's Shimmering Symbolist Painting 'the Kiss'.” My Modern Met, 24 Oct. 2017, mymodernmet.com/the-kiss-gustav-klimt/.

Comments

  1. Emily,

    I agree with you that the color is warm and does create a sense of unity. Overall this piece is intimate but in a way that is contrary to modern popular art I appreciate this. I like how you observed the distinct patterns. I think it is interesting that the rectangles naturally appear more masculine while the circles carry a softness, reflecting femininity.

    I do admit, I'm not sure what the gold thing behind them is, do you mind sharing?

    I think what make this an intellectual painting for me is how the females limbs are placed. The hand wrapped around the neck while the other hand is wrapped around the males hand shows me the artist thought about how people connect. That is what makes this beautiful to me.

    Best, Ava

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily,

    This is a great piece of art! I never seen this painting before, nor heard of the artist. Thank you for sharing. The patterns are amazing. As you mention, the repetition of rectangles and circles on the clothing. And yes, the color is a perfect mix of warm hues and colorful additions.

    I fully support the idea of you getting a tattoo inspired by this painting! No doubt it would be amazing. I enjoy tattoos and have a bunch of them; most of which are inspirational and warming. I drew three of my tattoos, which I brought to the tattoo artist to put the originals on myself. Again, something similar to this painting would be sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my Blog: An Introduction

A True Baroque Era Painting: Girl with a Pearl Earring